Welcome to the Built for the Trades Podcast! I’m your host, Dan Dowdy, and today we’re recapping a fantastic interview with Chris Gutkes, the CEO of Island Elevator. Before we dive into the discussion, let’s talk about leadership principles and how they can help you grow as a person and achieve success in both business and life.
Growing Yourself to Grow Your Business:
At Built for the Trades, we aim to help businesses grow through leadership development. Personal growth is the key to professional success. Investing in your growth makes you a better partner, parent, friend, boss, and leader.
The Importance of Personal Development:
Chris Gutkes highlighted the significance of growing and developing yourself outside your regular work hours. He noticed that successful trade individuals went the extra mile to study their craft, learn about their products, and improve themselves beyond their job responsibilities.
The Leadership Principle – Looking Inwardly:
Leadership is often seen as influencing others but involves introspection and self-improvement. You must first develop yourself to grow your team and elevate your own life. This blog post will explore twelve leadership principles inspired by successful athletes, which can be applied to enhance your leadership skills and achieve success.
The Top 12 Leadership Principles for Success:
- Self-confidence: Believe in yourself and your abilities. Confidence comes from hard work and experience.
- Motivation: Be driven to be better than your previous self and opponents. Patience and perseverance are key.
- Self-discipline: Success doesn’t happen overnight. Develop the discipline to put in the extra effort and sacrifice for improvement.
- Optimism: Stay positive, even in adversity. A positive mindset attracts success.
- Acceptance of Criticism: Embrace constructive criticism as a tool for improvement.
- Poise Under Stress: High-performing athletes can thrive under pressure, making quick decisions with composure.
- Focus: Stay dedicated to your goals and tune out distractions.
- Resilience: Bounce back from setbacks and learn from failures.
- Competitive Spirit: Embrace healthy competition to improve yourself and others.
- Natural Leadership: Possess leadership qualities and take initiative when needed.
- Humility: Acknowledge mistakes, give credit to others, and remain humble in success.
- Passion: Be deeply passionate about your work and immerse yourself in it.
Applying Leadership Principles to Business:
These leadership principles are equally applicable to business and life. For instance, staying positive, being disciplined, and accepting criticism can lead to personal growth and improved leadership skills. Leaders who remain coachable, focus on the big picture, and exhibit resilience can drive their teams to success.
Incorporating these twelve leadership principles into your life will empower you to be the best version of yourself and achieve greatness in your business, relationships, and personal endeavors. Remember, being a successful leader starts with your willingness to grow and develop, just like the best athletes in the world.
If you enjoyed this podcast and blog post, please subscribe, share it with a friend, and strive to be your best version!